Thanksgiving in the Capitol….

Washington DC

Since some of the family was going to be out our way, and some already live in Bethesda, we decided to join the party and head to DC for the long weekend. I have to tell you, the drive; not a lot of fun – the weekend? Was great.

We hit the road around 1:30 Wednesday, and it took us something like 6.5 hours to get there. Pretty straight-forward, nothing too crazy. Donovan never did take a nap really, and he was about ready to go insane by the end, but it wasn’t that bad. He did this little diddy (I have a video to post too) of his ABCs, and it’s damned funny. He tried to go really fast – and did a good job all things considered. I will post it shortly.

There’s not a lot to report from the weekend, Thursday we all got fat and happy, and it was gooood…..

Friday we goofed around and went to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum by Dulles. It is pretty cool, lots of planes, some rocket engines, space capsules, and a full-size replica of the Space Shuttle Atlantis. I took some pictures, but as this place is insanely dark, they all suck rocks. My little Sony just doesn’t have a manly enough flash to get the job done in these situations. Oh well. I have to say it too, their main website; not too bad. Their online exhibit sections? Now, there’s a prime example of complete rubbish. You’ve got to be kidding me? That’s the best our country can pull off for the National Air and Space museum? We need a new National Web Designer obviously….

After we got back to the house on Friday the kids promptly relaxed, and then all exploded around dinner. I swear they ran in circles, periodically changing trajectories, for at least an hour. No joke. It was hilarious. Then Dylan started coming up to everyone so they could rub his tummy. WTF? Where that came from I couldn’t tell ya.

Donovan pulling the kids aroundSaturday we hit the mall, and walked around for something like 5 hours. It was a good time, and the Donovan had a really good time. I say Donovan, because Dylan was Captain Grumpy face all day. Didn’t want to get out of the stroller, wouldn’t get his picture taken, and didn’t want to walk at all. About 2-ish, we stopped for food, and then it was all good. Grandpa walks out with 3 bowls of ice cream and Dylan’s eyes shoot out of his face as he perks right up, and grabs the chocolate and proceeds to stuff his face. I guess he was just a pint low, cus’ after that, he was happy as a clam – doing his typical yappin all the way back to the car, and all the way back to the house.

The day was awesome, and I got off a few good pics while in DC. The pres came back on Saturday, and we saw the helicopters fly in and drop him off at the White House. The World War II Memorial was new too since my last trip, and it’s pretty amazing.

Sunday we blew town and didn’t stop until we made it to Hershey, just the other side of Harrisburg (the State Capitol don’t ya know) and took the kids to Hershey to see the lights and ride a few of the rides that are still open this time of year. It’s a pretty cool park with lots of rides for both the young crazies and older psychos alike.

It was nice to get out of town, and see some of this state that we have lived in for 4 years now – it’s pretty pathetic when you think about it, we haven’t gone anywhere really. I’m hoping to change that in the near future…..

%d bloggers like this: