Welcome to nested tables hell
If you have tried to skin your MySpace profile before, you have probably failed – and if not, I’m probably not going to tell you anything you don’t already know. Alternatively, if you don’t know what MySpace is: go away, don’t read this – it’s not for you.
What I have learned
Firstly, I’m not the only dude on the block to try and tame the tabled beast that is MySpace, others have come before me – and I have learned form their examples – and set forth to figure other things out on my own. Here are a few things that will come in handy:
- You cannot use the # sign anywhere in your CSS. So you must specify colors [color: ffffff;] and shorthand will not work either.
- You cannot change or specify style rules for iframes – so you don’t ace the banners. If you manage it, be prepared to meet the Jack-boot of MySpace.
- Placing comments in your CSS file don’t work, and in some cases they fatch up the CSS code in some other browsers. IE conditional comments work fetchingly well, and are used in a few of the styles I am working on.
- Make your life easy and do things the hard way. SInce you can’t use the # sign, avoid shorthand for borders and such, and just write out the properties individually.
- It’s not going to work like you expect, so don’t be surprised when you have to break out the Excedrin Migraine.
You can see the last theme I concocted at my MySpace Profile, and download them here:
I will be posting a tutorial page in the tuts section as soon as I get about 6 or so of these babies done and ready to fire off to the world. We’ll see how long that will take exactly….
Once you get past the fact that the poor markup of the site keeps kicking you in the nards, it’s not really that bad. Okay, so maybe you just get numb and stop caring – but hey – if you don’t know the difference on a conscious level, then there is no difference. Right?
Actually you can do quite a bit, as some of the more ambitious folks have shown us. The Yaris profile is nice, so is the Snakes on a Plane, Nip/Tuck, Wendys and Burger King also have a spot too. There are some really swank profiles, and I have not even really looked too hard yet.
Check it out, and check back for more layouts soon….